My family loves Chinese food – well pretty much any Asian food actually. My husband especially loves it because of his many food allergies, especially to dairy and gluten. It is pretty easy to get Asian food that he can eat. However, finding Chinese food without a lot of sugar is hard! So we have not spent a lot of time at his favorite local Chinese restaurant recently. Sorry, Honey…
Everyone in the family loves the classic Sweet and Sour Pork or Chicken recipe – loaded with sugar, red food coloring, breaded and fried, and completely bad for you. So I was on a mission to make a Sweet and Sour sauce that not only was healthy, but also was lick the pan – can I have more, please – good! I finally perfected the recipe! And, not only is it cheap, it also does not have any special ingredients that you cannot find at your local grocery store! Score! (All my recipes have no special ingredient options – check more out here.)
This recipe is an Energizing (E) meal, meaning it is low in fat and higher in healthy carbs, if you follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan (read why I love THM here) when made with chicken breast and eaten with brown rice (I love eating rice with sweet and sour sauce – yummy!)
There is also the option to make this dish a Satisfying (S) meal, meaning it is higher in healthy fat and low in carbs, when made with pork and no rice. It is easy to make into a Crossover for those skinny kids or husbands in your life (this is my life) or if you are at or near goal-weight or pregnant or nursing. However, when doing a pork S option, you will need to pull the amount of pineapple to just a small amount and increase the amount of vegetables. Since pineapple is a high-glycemic fruit, it really can only be a garnish. Therefore, there needs to be no more than two tablespoons of pineapple per serving for an S meal. So, if you choose to make this an S meal with pork, use 1/4 cup of drained pineapple tidbits instead of the full can of pineapple. Of course, if you do the E option, no need to worry about the pineapple!
- 2 pounds chicken breast (for E), cut into 1 inch cubes
- Mineral salt
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use my homemade bone broth)
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons THM Super Sweet Blend, or 4 Tablespoons Truvia (about 12 packets), or sweetener of choice
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½-1 teaspoon Glucomannan powder or ½-1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum, to thicken
- 1 – 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks in juice, drained (see not above if making an S meal)
- 1 bell pepper – whatever color you want
Makes 6 servings
- Cut up the meat into 1 inch cubes, or bite size pieces. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cut up the bell pepper (whatever color you want to use) and any other vegetables you may want to add. We had asparagus on the side with this meal, but it would have been very good cut into bite size pieces and added to the dish! Open the pineapple and drain it.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add the meat. You may want to do this in batches to better brown the meat. I like to cook the meat through and then let it turn golden on each side for more of a crunch.
- In a small/medium sauce pan, add the broth, vinegar, sweetener, and tomato paste. Still and heat to simmering. Add the glucomannan or xanthan gum by sprinkling it in slowly as you whisk the sauce. This is important or the thickener will get clumpy and won’t thicken properly. Let the sauce simmer for a minute or two and then turn off the heat and let cool. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Add the vegetables to the meat and cook together for a minute or two. Add the sauce and let simmer together so that the flavors can marry – this does not take more than a few minutes
Serve over brown rice if you made the E option with chicken breast – the rice is so yummy with the sauce. Now I just need a THM fortune cookie recipe and my life will be complete.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on these links and ordering products or services will result in a small commission for me. It does not cost you anything extra, but helps keep this website going and is much appreciated. Click HERE to use my Trim Healthy Mama Affiliate Link.