NatureAmy

caring for creation while caring for family

Downton Night: Healthy Blueberry Scones

Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.  Clicking on these links and ordering products or services will result in a small commission for me.  It does not cost you anything extra, but helps keep this website going and is much appreciated. [eafl id=253 name=”THM” text=”Click HERE to use my Trim Healthy Mama Affiliate Link”]

If you are an Anglophile like myself, then the thought of Sunday night this time of year means – you guessed it – Downton Abbey!  I love to be transported to Yorkshire and spend the evening with the Crawley family.  But, I must also have a proper cup of tea (Tetley British Blend does the job well) with a bit of stevia and cream.  I could stop there – and some nights I must, for the sake of time, or my bare cupboards – but if I really want to savor the experience, I must have a scone with my tea! (Check out my other scone recipes here.)

Before I started on the path to sugar freedom and Trim Healthy Mama, I would have made a wonderful blueberry scone recipe I got from my fellow English loving cousin.  But, I have given up sugar and that recipe is laden with processed white flour, something else I try to avoid.  So what is a girl to do?  Make my own, of course!

Blueberry Scones - THM FP

BLUEBERRY SCONES

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup THM Baking Blend (can substitute 2 tablespoons coconut flour, 1 tablespoon flax meal, and 1 tablespoon almond flour, this would be an S, because it is higher in fat)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • dash of mineral salt
  • 2-3 teaspoons THM Gentle Sweet (or 2-4 packets Truvia) to taste
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or butter)
  • 1 egg white (or 2 tablespoons carton egg whites)
  • dash of almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Blueberry Scones - THM FP

This recipe is the perfect scone consistency with Trim Healthy Mama’s Baking Blend. I have made it a couple times using the easy substitutes of coconut flour, almond flour, and flax meal and it tastes wonderful. (If you follow THM, do note that these flours make this an S, not a Fuel Pull).  These flours/meals and Truvia can be found at most grocery stores, so it will be easy to make without purchasing THM products. I do love THM Baking Blend – it is full of healthy ingredients, low calorie, low carb, and certified gluten free.  I also LOVE their Gentle Sweet all natural non-GMO sweetener – it is the most sugar-like of any sweetener I have tried. (You could substitute honey, coconut sugar, or maple syrup if you do not follow THM.) I will write more about this wonderful book and eating plan and the food freedom I have found – especially my freedom from sugar addiction – in a later post.  But if you are curious about their plan, check out their website and books.

1.  Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Mix the baking blend, baking powder, salt, and sweetener together in a bowl. Add the coconut oil and mix together so that it is crumbly and a biscuit-like consistency.
  3. Add the egg white and mix together.  If it seems too dry, add a dash of almond milk.
  4. Mix in the blueberries – fresh blueberries are amazing, but frozen will work just fine.  If you want a lemony taste, add lemon zest (or a bit of lemon juice).  If you don’t care for lemon, vanilla is great, too.

Gluten-Free Sugar-Free Blueberry Scones

5. Place parchment paper on your baking sheet and dump the dough onto it.  Form the dough into a square and then cut it through the center to separate into two beautiful triangles.

6. Bake in the oven about 15 minutes until just golden. Let cool a bit and enjoy!

blueberryscones2

Now it is time to grab your cup of tea and settle in with an evening at Downton Abbey.  And as long as they don’t kill off any characters – it will be the perfect evening!

Cheerstelephoneamy

Please follow and like us:

25 Comments

1. No one died! A wedding instead! 🙂

2. Wouldn’t you have to add a protein to make this an S?

• Amy

January 31, 2016 at 8:42 am

I’m sorry for taking so long to respond – somehow this comment got buried. The egg acts as protein and there is protein in the Baking Blend or blends of flours as well.

3. Made the scones last night and they were great! Thank you for posting!!

4. How many does this make?

• Amy

January 20, 2016 at 10:34 pm

This makes two scones, which can be one serving (still a fuel pull) or two if you feel like sharing (or your toddler steals half, which is what usually happens at our house!)

5. Carolyn Hodges (Mom)

February 10, 2016 at 9:10 am

I am going to make these for our ladies luncheon tomorrow. We have several gluten free ladies in the group and they always appreciate something made with love for them. I will be happy because I can eat them, be happy, and still stay on my diet.

6. I was just searching for a THM friendly scone and am so happy to come across this one, and FP no less! Can’t wait to try it. Thank you! Have you tried any other variations? Plan approved chocolate chips (S, of course)?

• Amy

February 25, 2016 at 11:42 am

I have a cranberry walnut scone recipe (check out my recipe page). I am also working on a poppyseed scone recipe, but I have not perfected it yet. Chocolate chip would be good, but no, I have not tried that one. Glad you found this helpful!

7. Do you think I could totally omit the egg?

• Amy

August 13, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I would try using an egg-replacer instead of omitting it completely. If you made a flax egg, that would likely work. I haven’t tried it, though. Let me know how it works!

8. These scones were delicious! Thank you, Amy, for creating a THM scone that I love! I will have to make these when I host my next tea party. Have you ever tried making a larger batch of these treats? Should I just quadruple the recipe?

• Amy

September 14, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Yes – I have made the recipe bigger by doubling or quadrupling it – it works great! They also keep really well in the freezer, so I like to make a big batch and then pull one or two out for a quick treat. So glad you liked it.
      Have you checked out my other scone recipes – I love scones so I have 3 recipes for them! My favorite is the cranberry orange scones!
      Thanks for reading,
      Amy

• I liked the blueberry scones so much, I made them twice yesterday. I also made the cranberry orange scones (sans walnut) last night and really enjoyed them. I made each recipe with the alternate flours you suggested (not the THM Baking Blend) and I really liked the texture and flavors. Lemon poppyseed is probably next or I might try to substitute raspberries instead of blueberries. Thanks again for a wonderful recipe! They go great with coffee or tea (tea if I’m rewatching Downton Abbey).

• Amy

September 18, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I am so happy you are liking them, Michelle! And I really like them with the alternative flours, too – so inexpensive that way! I’m out of blueberries or I would have made some blueberry scones today!

9. Where have these scones been all my life? They’re absolutely delicious! Bonus that they’re a Fuel Pull!!! Thank you for the recipe! I had to double the baking time because I live in a high altitude.

10. Just made 2 of these… I ate one & enjoyed every bite!! Delicious!! Cant wait to try the others! Fuelpull makes them all the more enjoyable! Thank you so much!!

11. They’re Cooling in the kitchen as I speak. They’re not quite as brown as yours so I hope they’re done. Looking forward to trying mythem. Taking one out to my daughter’s for her to try. Thank you for sharing.

12. Could I use 1 egg instead of the white to make it an S (and, ahem, slather it in butter)? Long live the Crawleys!

• Amy

June 1, 2017 at 12:56 am

Oh yes. I use 1 egg quite frequently when I want to make an S – it’s just easier that way. But I would double the recipe or it might be too egg-y.
      Yes, I miss Downton!
      Love, Amy

13. Thank you! It worked wonderfully. I hope Julian Fellowes gets to work soon. I hear the cast agreed to return for a film!