Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on these links and ordering products or services will result in a small commission for me. It does not cost you anything extra, but helps keep this website going and is much appreciated. [eafl id=253 name=”THM” text=”Click HERE to use my Trim Healthy Mama Affiliate Link”]
I am an Anglophile, through and through. I spent a semester in England my sophomore year of college and went there on my honeymoon, but really my love affair with the British Isle started long before that. In fact, my earliest memories of loving England came from pouring over the pictures of Princess Diana’s wedding in a magazine my mom had – it was several years old when my sister and I found it, but it soon became our favorite! The British are not famous for their cooking, and my time living there made me realize that they get their reputation for a reason, but there are some things they do very well and tea time is certainly one of them! BBC historical dramas are something else they do especially well and my current favorite – along with half the world – is Downton Abbey.
My last Downton Abbey inspired recipe was a hit (check out the THM FP Blueberry Scones) and this one is even tastier, in my opinion. I’ve got to get these recipes posted before the last season ends and we are stuck with watching the old seasons forever (which really isn’t the worst thing in the world!) So, if you like a proper cup of tea (with a splash milk and a dash of stevia) with your favorite British dramas, you must try this scone recipe as well. I’m sure if Mrs. Patmore (the Crawley’s cook) made Trim Healthy Mama recipes, she would love these!
ORANGE CRANBERRY WALNUT SCONES ~ THM S
- 1/4 cup THM Baking Blend (can substitute 2 tablespoons coconut flour, 1 tablespoon flax meal, and 1 tablespoon almond flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of mineral salt
- 2-3 teaspoons THM Gentle Sweet (or 2-4 packets Truvia) to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-2 teaspoon coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 egg white (or 2 tablespoons carton egg whites)
- dash of almond milk
- 1/4 cup cranberries (sliced in half, fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional, but oh so yummy)
This recipe is the perfect scone consistency with Trim Healthy Mama’s Baking Blend. I have made it a couple times using the easy substitutes of coconut flour, almond flour, and flax meal and it tastes wonderful. These flours/meals and Truvia can be found at most grocery stores, so it will be easy to make without purchasing THM products. I do love THM Baking Blend – it is full of healthy ingredients, low calorie, low carb, and certified gluten free. I also LOVE their Gentle Sweet all natural non-GMO sweetener – it is the most sugar-like of any sweetener I have tried. (You could substitute honey, coconut sugar, or maple syrup if you do not follow THM.) I will write more about this wonderful book and eating plan and the food freedom I have found – especially my freedom from sugar addiction – in a later post. But if you are curious about their plan, check out their website and books.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the baking blend, baking powder, salt, and sweetener together in a bowl. Add the orange zest ( I love using my microplane for this). Add the coconut oil and mix together so that it is crumbly and a biscuit-like consistency.
- Add the egg white and mix together. If it seems too dry, add a dash of almond milk.
- Cut the cranberries in halves and mix them into the batter. Fresh cranberries are amazing, but frozen will work just fine.
- Place parchment paper on your baking sheet and dump the dough onto it. Form the dough into a square and then cut it through the center to separate into two beautiful triangles.
- Bake in the oven about 15 minutes until just golden. Let cool a bit and enjoy!
Go ahead and cuddle up on the couch this cold winter night and enjoy your scone with your favorite BBC show. It should be another perfect evening…
I would love it if you could head on over to my Facebook page and give it a like! I am just building my website and will be posting recipes every week or two, all family friendly, Trim Healthy Mama friendly, sugar-free, and budget friendly. Thanks so much for your support!